LUMS Financial Aid
Admission to all programmes is purely on merit and independent of students’ ability to pay the related tuition fees. Once a student has been admitted to a programme, there are several mechanisms in place to provide financial support based on need and merit. All awards are reassessed each academic year based on performance, need, available resources and prevailing University policies. LUMS is committed to providing as much financial assistance as possible within the limits of its available resources. Nevertheless, the University may not be able to meet all requests for financial assistance, and it is strongly recommended that applicants secure as much of their own funding as possible.
Several Merit and Need-Based Scholarships are available for students who meet specific criteria.
- LUMS Interest-Free Loan
- Merit Scholarship
- MCB-Student Personal Loan
Merit Scholarship is a form of gift and does not need to be repaid. LUMS provides Merit Scholarship Award to students who have proven their ability to succeed academically. There is no separate application for the scholarship. Students are automatically considered for the award when they apply for admission to LUMS. Merit scholarship is awarded to the top applicants, based on LUMS Admission evaluation ranking. The awarded merit scholarship is for the entire two-year duration of the MPhil Education Leadership and Management (ELM) Programme. The continuation of the scholarship is conditional on the academic performance of the students and shall only be subject to reassessment in case their academic standing drops below a cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
Note: In case a student qualifies for both financial aid award and any other scholarship, he/she will receive the higher aid benefit.
MCB - Student Personal Loan
LUMS has entered into an agreement with MCB Bank Limited through which MCB Bank provides commercial loans to MPhil students.
The commercial loan facility is pivotal for students who are currently financially unable to afford the cost of tuition and living facilities. This is one of the first ventures of its kind in Pakistan and demonstrates LUMS' commitment towards providing equal educational opportunities to its students.
All loans are subject to the Bank’s internal approvals and MCB Bank reserves the right to approve/disapprove a loan based on its internal assessment. In case a loan is not approved, students will be required to provide the total fees and expenses of the education themselves.
Minimum 21 years and maximum 45 years at the time of loan approval.
- Pakistani nationals only.
- At least 50% marks (or equivalent) in the last public examination (i.e. other than admission tests, e.g. GMAT, SAT, LMAT, etc.).
- Maximum 80:20 of admissible educational program cost (such as Admission, Registration, Tuition, On-Campus Residence, and any other part / head / item of the fees that is payable in advance by the student to LUMS).
- Any amount that is refundable by LUMS to the student later on is not covered under the Student Loan program
Subject to regulatory and internal Bank requirements:
- Maximum PKR one million.
- In accordance with the schedule of fee payment, the above amount shall be disbursed over a maximum of 4 tranches/modules
- The drawdowns for the loans will be based on 2 drawdowns/ academic year.
- Each tranche disbursement would be subject to Bank’s review as per its requirement.
- Disbursement shall be made directly to LUMS on account of the student.
Loan Tenor and grace period
Installment repayments will commence six months after the completion of study period (up to 30 months).
Total tenor of repayment of the loan (post education period) to not exceed 7 years, including the grace period.
- Markup rate of this facility is: Six-month KIBOR + 0%.
- This rate shall then undergo subsequent resetting on a six-monthly basis on the first working day of every January and July.
- Mark-up accrual shall begin from the day of first disbursement as per the above rates and shall continue on the outstanding principal till the entire repayment of the loan.
Partial / Full Early Payments
No pre-payment charges apply on partial or full prepayments.
- One time non-refundable processing fee of PKR 5,000/- or as set by the Bank only at the time of processing of the initial application.
- Any applicable taxes / levies shall be recoverable from the customer / student / borrower.
Minimum guarantees and securities/ collateral
- Personal Guarantee of Parents / Guardian and/or any third party for each loan. At least one Guarantor should be Parent and at least one guarantor should have source and means of income.
- For each loan, assignment of all future incomes of the student to the Bank to the extent of the former’s liability to the latter. In accordance with SBP regulations, loans shall be collateralized through any security /collateral as determined by the Bank for each loan and borrower.
- Application Form (pertinent to the relevant tranche) duly signed by the student and parents / guardian and/or third party guarantor(s) (as the case may be) including signed-stamped by concerned LUMS officials.
- CNIC or SNIC Copies of the Student and parent(s) / guardian(s) and/or any third party guarantor(s) as the case may be.
- CF-1 Form / SBP Undertaking.
- One-time activity of opening non-checking collection / repayment account.
- Required legal documentation to be signed by the student & parent / guardian and/or any third party guarantor(s) as the case may be and with regards to various collaterals / securities.
- Any other document as per MCB’s requirement
Other Terms &Conditions
- Student is not allowed to apply for any sort of loan from any financial institution / bank, without seeking prior permission from MCB until the first installment of the MCB Student Loan has been paid.
- If a student gets overseas employment, then his entire remaining personal loan and associated amounts shall become payable immediately to MCB.
- Apart from the above, in cases where the student fails to complete the program due to any reason, or drops out due to unsatisfactory academic performance or otherwise, or commits an act of moral turpitude or crime, the entire loan and associated amounts will become repayable immediately.
- The entire loan and associated amounts will also become repayable immediately if, at any stage, any mis-representation or concealment of facts comes to the Bank’s knowledge.
- Bank reserves the right to demand immediate payment of all outstanding amounts associated with the student loan at any time it deems appropriate.
- In accordance with applicable laws and regulations, Bank reserves the right to take all measures and explore all options (which may include but may not be limited to litigation) for collection / recovery of all outstanding amounts associated with the loan from the student / borrower / guarantor(s) and any available collaterals / securities in case of nonpayment / default and/or any non-fulfillment of contractual obligations by student / borrower / guarantor(s)
- Financial Aid Award is valid for One(1) year only. Continuation of aid in the subsequent year is subject to reassessment.
- Students receiving Financial Aid should maintain a Full-time status in a regular semester. Failure to do so will lead to the cancellation of the Financial Aid Award.
Financial aid will not be provided for the Summer Semester.
Financial Aid Award can be increased, reduced or kept the same at any stage of review during your stay at LUMS
LUMS reserves the right to physically verify the beneficiary's Home/Business premises.
LUMS reserves the right to amend, cancel, or terminate the awarded Financial Aid in case of any misrepresentation or incorrect information provided by the student. Such misrepresentation or concealment of facts may lead to the termination of your admission from the Programme. University also reserves the right to recover the awarded amount during the preceding year(s) from the recipient on an immediate basis.
LUMS Interest-Free Loan
A degree from a tier-one university is one of the few investments with all-but-guaranteed return. Studying in LUMS not only opens doors in the professional world but also unleashes intellectual and financial potential.
At LUMS, we believe that financial circumstances should never stand in the way. To help, LUMS offers Interest-Free loans to the students from less privileged backgrounds who, without such assistance, would not be able to attend a university.
At MPhil level, LUMS Interest-Free loan covers partial to full tuition fee expense. These awards are reassessed in each academic year based upon performance and demonstrated financial need. The repayment of these Interest-Free loans starts six (6) months after graduation with time period of 3 to 5 years.
Remember – loan is an obligation and is required to be paid back in installments after graduation. Loan repayment not only contributes towards the recirculation of Financial Aid to deserving students but also inculcates social responsibility and ethical values within the students.