LUMS Financial Aid
Admission to all programmes is purely on merit and independent of students’ ability to pay the related tuition fees. Once a student has been admitted to a programme, there are several mechanisms in place to provide financial support based on need and merit. All awards are reassessed each academic year based on performance, need, available resources and prevailing University policies. LUMS is committed to providing as much financial assistance as possible within the limits of its available resources. Nevertheless, the University may not be able to meet all requests for financial assistance, and it is strongly recommended that applicants secure as much of their own funding as possible.
Your financial need and your aid application does not affect your chances of admission.
Several Merit and Need-Based Scholarships are available for students who meet specific criteria.
- Need-Based Tuition Fee Waiver and Loan
- Merit Scholarship
- National Outreach Programme
- External Scholarships
- International Students Scholarship
Need-Based Tuition Fee Waiver and Loan
Financing a student's education is a commitment involving the student, their family and our institution. We at LUMS gear all our efforts towards assisting as many students as possible within our limited resources. Financial assistance is offered to students with demonstrated need. These awards at the Undergraduate level are available in the form of Tuition Fee Waivers and LUMS Interest-Free Loans.
Undergraduate need-based assistance covers partial to full tuition fee expenses of the programme. The range of the amount of financial assistance over the last year has been between 20% and 100%. These awards are reassessed in each academic year based upon performance and demonstrated financial need. Financial Aid fee waiver is not required to be repaid whilst LUMS Interest-Free Loan will have to be paid back after six (6) months of graduation within a maximum period of five (5) years.
Remember a loan is an obligation and is required to be paid back in instalments after graduation. Repayment of loan not only contributes towards the recirculation of Financial Aid to deserving students but also inculcates social responsibility and ethical values within the students.
LUMS not only recognises students' good academic performance but also distinguishes high achievers by providing them generous merit scholarships. If you are a high achiever, LUMS wants you to accomplish everything you possibly can. Exemplary students are selected to receive LUMS Merit Scholarships based on their outstanding academic performance.
Merit Scholarship is a form of gift and does not need to be repaid. LUMS provides Merit Scholarship Award to students who have proven their ability to succeed academically.
100 scholarships are available to support the academic aspirations of prospective top ranked undergraduate students based on the LUMS admission evaluation ranking.
For the first year, merit scholarship award covers partial to full tuition fee for one year and is awarded to the top applicants shortlisted for admission in each school. There is no separate application for the scholarship. Students are automatically considered for the award when they apply for admission to LUMS.
The break-up of 100 merit scholarships for the first year is as follows;
- 30 Scholarships for each batch of Suleman Dawood School of Business, Mushtaq Ahmad Gurmani School of Humanities and Social Sciences and Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering
- 10 Scholarships for the batch of Shaikh Ahmad Hassan School of Law
Merit scholarship award covers partial to full tuition fee for one year only and is awarded to the returning batches who are placed on the Dean's Honour List based on their academic performance. The number of scholarships in each programme and class may vary according to the approved policy of that particular academic year.
The break-up of merit scholarships for subsequent year(s) is as follows;
- 15 Scholarships for each batch of Suleman Dawood School of Business, Mushtaq Ahmad Gurmani School of Humanities and Social Sciences and Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering
- 5 Scholarships for the batch of Shaikh Ahmad Hassan School of Law
Note: In case a student qualifies for financial aid award and merit scholarship, their scholarship will be adjusted accordingly. These awards are for one year only and cannot be carried forward to subsequent years.
National Outreach Programme
If you are a talented, brilliant and aspiring young student who excels academically yet is constricted by financial circumstances, then the National Outreach Programme (NOP) at LUMS is for you! The NOP was launched in 2001, with the motive to provide the talented yet financially challenged youth of Pakistan a chance to study at LUMS on full financial aid. We aim to bring the brightest minds together from every corner of Pakistan to study at the University. Since its establishment, the NOP has successfully instated approximately 1,450 brilliant students and continues to facilitate many more annually. Almost 1,000 graduated students have gone out to achieve, thrive and make an impact in their communities.
In order to be eligible for the NOP, a student must have at least 80% marks in Matric or the grade equivalent in O Levels and must have the basis of financial need. In order to spread the word of higher education and inform students of the opportunities available through the NOP, the NOP team visits schools and colleges in various cities, towns and villages all over Pakistan to give presentations about the programme and how students can apply and benefit from the same.
The University has tried its level best to raise funds to ensure that no deserving candidate is turned away from the programme due to insufficient funds. Since inception, external donors have played an immense role in achieving this milestone.
There are a number of named scholarships available for undergraduate students. LUMS supporters include individuals and organisations from all over the world. These scholarships can potentially help students cover the costs of education and related expenses (i.e. books, accommodation and living). The eligibility depends upon a number of factors, all of which are specified by the donor who offers the scholarships.
In order to be considered for any kind of external scholarships, students are required to apply for financial aid at the time of applying for admission at LUMS.
Punjab Educational Endowment Fund
The Punjab Educational Endowment Fund (PEEF), an initiative of the Government of the Punjab, established with the objective of providing scholarships/monetary assistance to talented and needy students offers the students of LUMS to benefit from this opportunity.
To find out about PEEF, scholarship opportunities and the procedures, students, their families and the educational institutions are encouraged to visit www.peef.org.pk
The Punjab Educational Endowment Fund, since its establishment, has awarded more than 235,000 scholarships worth PKR 11.90 billion to students of Punjab and other provinces. With the inclusion of current year’s 115,000 scholarships, the total number of beneficiaries will exceed 351,000 (approximately) with scholarship disbursements worth more than PKR 18.20 billion.
100% Undergraduate Scholarship for Top 5 FSc Position Holders for Year 1 or 2
LUMS is pleased to announce the prestigious Sekha Scholarship (100% tuition waiver) for FSc top 5 position holders who gain admission into the Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering at LUMS.
This scholarship aims to encourage high-potential undergraduate science scholars to come to LUMS and acquire world-class education from one of the best universities of Pakistan.
Starting from the academic year 2022, the Sekha Scholarship has been providing successful applicants who are amongst the top five position holders of the national FSc examination boards, a 100% tuition fee waiver for the four years of their undergraduate degree at LUMS. FSc position holders from Year 1 or 2, from any of the 23 national FSc boards, are encouraged to apply to the LUMS Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering undergraduate programmes to avail this prestigious scholarship.
For more information, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
International Students Scholarship
Shahid Hussain Foundation Scholarship for International Students
Merit is the sole criteria of admission to LUMS and a continuous effort is made by the University to make all its educational programmes accessible across the nation, regardless of an applicant’s ability to pay. Various financial support opportunities are available to students at the Undergraduate level. These include Need-Based Tuition Fee Waivers, LUMS Interest-Free Loans, National Outreach Programme Scholarships, Merit Scholarships and External Scholarships.
To add diversity to its student body, LUMS aims to increase induction of international students. The Shahid Hussain Foundation scholarships will help LUMS to achieve its goals of reaching out to bright, international talent. These scholarships are available for international undergraduate students for Fall 2024 admissions.
Who Can Apply?
In order to be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant
- Must meet the minimum academic criteria for admission;
- Must be a citizen of SAARC member countries.
- Sri Lanka
- Must not be of Pakistani origin and should not have a Pakistani passport/NICOP/CNIC. Applicants holding dual nationality out of which one is Pakistani are not eligible to apply through the LUMS International Student Programme.
How To Apply?
To avail this scholarship, applicants are required to apply to LUMS through the LUMS Online Admission application. All fields of the online application must be completely filled in. Additionally, relevant supporting documents need to be submitted by the given deadline.
Note: LUMS academic policies and code of conduct is applicable to all scholarship holders.
- Financial Aid Award is valid for one (1) year only. Continuation of aid in the subsequent year(s) is subject to the submission of financial aid application, supporting documents and reassessment of financial need.
- Students receiving Financial Aid should maintain a full-time status in a regular semester. Failure to do so will lead to the cancellation of the Financial Aid Award.
- Each year reassessment is carried out and upon re-evaluation of updated facts financial aid is allocated for the subsequent year. In case a student qualifies for financial assistance for his/her entire degree programme, it will cover 140 credit hours for BA/BSc/BS, 145 credit hours for BSc (Electrical and Chemical Engineering), and 175 credit hours for B.A-LLB in order to meet the minimum graduation requirement.
- Financial Aid Award can be increased, reduced or kept the same at any stage of review during your stay at LUMS.
- LUMS reserves the right to physically verify the beneficiary's home/business premises.
- LUMS reserves the right to amend, cancel, or terminate the awarded Financial Aid in case of any misrepresentation or incorrect information provided by the student. Such misrepresentation or concealment of facts may lead to the termination of your admission from the Programme. University also reserves the right to recover the awarded amount during the preceding year(s) from the recipient on an immediate basis.